Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty

Is it a Samsung warranty? The previous reviewer called Samsung and their rep said it isn't, but did their tech rep have correct information?
HassleFreeCell says they provide a 90 day warranty.
So I chatted with an Amazon rep, and he was quite clear, but did he know anything? You will have to judge.
Here is his reply:
You are now connected to Deepak from Amazon.com.
Me:Concerning Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty (Blue)
What are the warranty details? Is this a Samsung warranty?
Deepak :Hello, my name is Deepak. I'll be happy to help you.
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Me:OK
Deepak :yes. it will be honored by the manufacturer.
Me:Is it a one year warranty?
Deepak :Yes.
Me:That is all. thank you.
Deepak :Thanks for visiting Amazon.com. We hope to see you again soon. Happy Holidays!

Edit 1/12/2012
I noticed today that there seems to be an issue with this phone since price has jumped to $900 and there may be a 1-2 month delay on shipment. Maybe Amazon realized that they had not made adequate provisions for how to provide warranty service? Anyway, it looks like for now only the non warranty Samsung Note is available Samsung Galaxy Note N7000 16GB Unlocked Android Smartphone.Since this phone is about $150 cheaper, it is likely the way to go.
Edit 1/19/2012
There may be a BIG PROBLEM with updates for this phone including Ice Cream Sandwich.
Samsung is DENYING that they will provide any updates for ANY US unlocked phones.
Amazon appears to be admitting this. For more, see Customer Discussions (at the bottom of this product page below).
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Color
The phone back is a dark navy blue.

Size
The phone fits easily in all my pants pockets (jeans and dress). The HTC Amaze feels like a brick in my pocket, and the Samsung Note is slightly heavier, but feels MUCH lighter - maybe this is because it is so thin. It fits in my medium size man-hands, but I would not want it any larger. I have never dropped a phone, but I am worried for the first time (see Cases, below).

Screen
Big and beautiful. What else can I say?

Stylus
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty - This was a main reason I got this phone because I always used a stylus for typing accuracy on my old Palm (4 inch screen) and my Sony P1i (2.6 inch screen). When I tried out phones with 4.3 inch screens I was not able to type accurately. Surprise! I find that I can type as fast with my finger since the 5.3 inch screen is so big, and I can go slightly faster with Swype. Voice recognition is much better than I expected and for everyday words is the fastest method of text entry. So my stylus sits unused.
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Clock app
A Samsung clock app comes with the phone. It is not well documented that you are required to select the icon at the top right of the screen to prevent the screen from timing out. The clock allows a pre-alarm of nature sounds to help wake up.

FM Radio
At least this version of the Samsung Note does have an FM radio and here in Indianapolis it receives about 30 stations. Correction: It DOES have RDS (I just had it turned off), and you can rename stations. As with all phones, headphones are required to act as the antenna.

Headphones
The note comes with a set of ear-bud phones with microphone. Ear-bud phones depend on a good ear seal which can vary from person to person. I get a good seal and I find them adequate for casual listening.
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Stands
Both the "iZel Innovative Hands-free Stand" and the "iCarpus Stand" fit the Note and hold it securely on a bedside table. Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty The Motorola wall charger works well, but is larger than the Samsung charger.

Cases
I first bought a cheap TPU case and was disappointed with the thin non resilient plastic which I think won't provide enough protection if dropped. I then bought a TPU Gel case - the kind with an "S" design on the back. Despite the name, this is not resilient either, but it has rough edges on either side to give a much better grip to prevent dropping. I have now changed to a Armor Dual Layer Cover sold by DayDeal.com. It has a hard plastic outer layer and a soft silicone inner layer with extra protection on each corner, and it is very elegant with a red back and black accented sides. This should give significant impact protection, but it is slightly bulkier than the TPU cases although it still fits in my pockets.

Phone Plan
This is a GSM phone so it will only work with T-Mobile and AT&T here in the US. It has been claimed that AT&T apparently will work with 4G data on this phone. T-Mobile's frequencies currently allow only 2G data (but it has been reported that with the failure of the AT&T takeover, T-Mobile may gain access to 4G data). Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty However, consider if you need data. At home, work and almost every hotel I have access to wifi, and I use a TomTom for directions. Since I don't use a lot of voice minutes, I happily use T-Mobile prepaid (pay as you go). The 100 dollar prepaid card (1000 minutes/text messages, but no data) is good for one year and as long as I buy a new card before the end of the year, the minutes roll over.
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Update 1/5/12 (10 days use):
I still think that this is the best phone for someone who needs a large screen. The only bad thing I can say is that I find the phone slippery, but with a case this is not a problem.
Battery life has been better than I expected - great. I typically make a call, check email numerous times and view the internet for 1 hr. I have gps enabled. Also I am in a weak cell signal area which increases the power draw on the battery. I write this as I am plugging it in for the night and the remaining battery is still an amazing 79%! The only time I had a problem was when I had installed and then deleted several apps. I thought that everything was OK until several hours later I discovered I had only 8% battery remaining (I shut it down, charged it and then restarted and everything was again fine).

Update 1/13/12:
Why get an unlocked phone?
This decision is best based on individual circumstances. In my case I mostly email and don't call or text much. In fact I can get by on a $100/1000 min prepaid card for a whole year. Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty I find that I can use wifi for all my data use (at home, at work, at Meijer food stores, at my Honda dealer, at my Dad's house, etc). Let's say that AT&T has a contract price of $300 for the Note, and suppose you decide to get the AT&T Note on contract. So lets compare costs between you and me . . .

You:
$300 Samsung Note contract AT&T cost + (per month) $40 voice + $25 2G data + $20 texts + $10 tax
Total for first year = $1440
Total for second year =$1140

Me:
$750 Samsung Note phone + 100/1000 min + free wifi where I can find it (most places).
Total for first year = $850
Total for second year = $100
Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty
Note:
I have effectively paid off my phone in less than one year (compared to you) so I could throw my phone in the trash and buy a new phone next year while you are still stuck on a 2 year contract!
Of course, the numbers will vary depending on the person, so you will have to calculate the difference based on your circumstances.

Edit 1/19/2012
There may be a BIG PROBLEM with updates for this phone including Ice Cream Sandwich.
Samsung is DENYING that they will provide any updates for ANY US unlocked phones.
For more, see Customer Discussions (at the bottom of this product page below).
I have consequently reduced the rating from 5 to 4 stars.

FINAL EDIT 1/27/12
Sigh. I am sad. I sent the phone back for a refund even though I love it! It is important to me to be able to upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0), and I have come to the conclusion that Samsung will NOT upgrade any "US unlocked" phone. Samsung Galaxy Note GT-N7000 Unlocked Cellphone--US Warranty I may decide to get the AT&T version of the Note due out Feb 18, 2012, but then I will have to sign a 2 year contract. Because of the confusion concerning Samsung support for this phone, Amazon was very good about getting me a fast refund. 5 stars for the phone, 5 stars for Amazon, but 0 stars for Samsung's TERRIBLE US support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apple iPhone Rules the Mobile World

Apple iPhone 4S : Stunning New Smartphone

Straight Talk Cell Phones